Sunday, April 12, 2020

The Necessity of Contingency

First, a confession: I haven't read Quentin Meillassoux's After Finitude. I have chewed through Hyperstucteralism's necessity of Contingency (Chiesa, 2015) and The necessity of contingency or contingent necessity: Meillassoux, Hegel, and the subject (Van Houdt, 2011) though. This wasn't just to remind myself how opaque Continental philosophy can be; I had a nagging sense that Meillassoux had over-egged things, but couldn't quite put my finger on exactly why. So thanks to Peter Wolfendale for the following encapsulation: "The question that remains for critics of Meillassoux’s thesis is thus whether it conflates the epistemic contingency of nomological necessity with the logical necessity of nomological contingency." Superb!

No comments: